The Chapman Coal Company Stable and Garage is an important surviving building in what was a bustling light industrial complex established in the early 20th century. The site evolved over the decades from a coal office and coal yard with stables at the rear to a public garage at the front and manufacturing facilities at the rear. The surviving building at 57 N Street, built in 1912 and incorporating a 1908 stable building into it, was constructed as a garage with parking for 75 cars on the ground level and service repair facilities at the second story.
The site is an notable representation of the rise of the automobile on the city’s built environment and a relatively rare example of an early-20th-century commercial service and workshop complex.
DC Inventory: March 28, 2013
National Register: October 23, 2013