Designed by Waddy B. Wood and constructed as the executive headquarters for the Southern Railway Company—one of the most successful railroad conglomerates in the early 20th century U.S.—this building is a highly visible remnant of the railroad industry. According to an article in the Washington Post, the official cornerstone laying was complete with Masonic ceremonies and took place on December 20, 1928. Grand Master James T. Gibbs of the Grand Lodge of the District of Columbia officiated using the same trowel and gavel that George Washington used in the laying of the cornerstone of the U.S. Capitol.
In addition to its association with the railroad industry, the building is also significant for its role in transforming the surrounding area from a residential neighborhood into a bustling commercial district by the early 20th century.
DC Inventory: February 25, 2016
National Register: April 26, 2016