The block was built after the completion of the large-scale municipal improvements undertaken by the Board of Public Works in 1871-74. LeDroit Block illustrates renewed civic aspirations of post-Civil War era with rich, animated facades which introduce congenial human scale enhancing the monumentality of the L'Enfant Plan and nearby General Post Office and Old Patent Office. It includes one of the city's oldest office buildings and work by noted local architects; built 1875-92.
DC designation: August 28, 1973
National Register listing: April 2, 1974
Located within Downtown HD and Pennsylvania Avenue NHS
800-10 F Street
Commercial office building erected in 1875 by A.L. Barber & Co., builders of suburban LeDroit Park. The building is a rare example of pre-elevator office building design. It is a major work of noted local architect James McGill and it housed McGill's office until 1882. The building is a corner site featuring 3 stories with a raised basement of shopfronts, and three main entrances. It has an exceptional facade design with fully glazed lower floors, a colonnaded main floor supporting brick upper facades with triple "Palladian" windows, rhythmic window surrounds. As a free Italianate adaptation of classical detail, LeDroit Building has a bracketed cornice with alternating triangular and curved pediments, and applied lettering. The interiors are well preserved with original layout and finishes.
812 F Street
This is a commercial row building with 3 stories, a pressed brick facade with a bracketed and pedimented cornice in Eastlake manner and features Italianate window hoods. The building was built 1875 (probably by architect James McGill) and occupied in 1877 by stationer J. Bradley Adams, former tenant of the LeDroit Building.
814 16 F Street
This is a commercial row building erected in 1878 by stationer J. Bradley Adams. It was used as store by Adams until 1888 and a residence until 1892. It is 2 stories with a pressed brick facade with Eastlake window hoods. The building also features a heavy projecting cornice with integral sign band and was probably designed by architect James McGill, like other buildings on this block.
818 F Street
818 F Street is a commercial row building erected in 1881 by owner J. Bradley Adams. It's 3 stories, has a cast iron facade with a heavy projecting cornice. It could have possibly been designed by architect James McGill.
527 9th Street
This early elevator building was erected in 1892 by B.H. Warder, a wealthy Ohio manufacturer of farm implements, who moved to Washington to invest in real estate. He intended to use the building as offices, apartments, and stores. The Warder Building was built in 1892 and Nicholas T. Haller was the architect. The buidling housed Haller's office, many patent agents, labor unions and the DC Communist Party during 1940s. It is 6 stories of brick with an arcaded base, horizontally banded upper floors, and Romanesque Revival detail. The iron cage elevator and intereriors remain intact.