When the Atlantic Building was completed in 1888, it was the largest commercial structure in the city and one of the first with a passenger elevator. Located on F Street in the heart of downtown, the speculative office building was designed in a Romanesque Revival style by James G. Hill, who had served as Supervising Architect of the U.S. Treasury and was also the designer of numerous fine private buildings in Washington. The eight-story building featured two large assembly rooms, the location of numerous important public meetings, including one at which the National Zoo was founded. In 1889, the top floor office space served as the home of President Benjamin Harrison's inaugural committee, while the US Forest Service was headquartered here from 1905 to 1940.
Towards the end of the 20th century, the DC Preservation League's offices were located within the Atlantic Building, and, in 1980, the 9:30 Club began on the first floor of the original building, taking its name from the 930 F Street address. Many Washingtonians have fond memories of attending concerts here in the 1980s and 1990s.
Unfortunately, redevelopment brought about the demolition of all but the detailed red brick masonry and terra cotta facade. The current Atlantic Building is a 10-story office complex completed in 2006. It includes the facades of several historic buildings, including the original Atlantic Building.