Foggy Bottom's historic Ulysses S. Grant School is a three-story red brick public school building constructed in 1882. The robust Victorian-era building was originally named the Analostan School, in recognition of the Native Americans who once inhabited the nearby Potomac River shores, but was renamed in 1890 in honor of Ulysses S. Grant, leader of the Union forces during the Civil War and 18th President of the United States. The building was designed by noted DC architect John B. Brady.
The interior of the Grant School is one of few school interiors that retain an exceptionally high degree of integrity. Original wainscoting, molded window and door surrounds, some original wood panel doors, hardware, and transoms remain intact. The building continues to function as a school to the present day.
DC Inventory: May 25, 2006
National Register: May 22, 2007