Editors Building

Established in 1923, the Kiplinger publishing company has enjoyed more than eight decades of journalistic success.

The Editors Building is a ten-story office building constructed in downtown DC between 1949 and 1950 to house the offices of the family-owned and operated Kiplinger Washington Editors, Inc., the publisher of various subscription-based business and finance periodicals, namely the Kiplinger News Letter and Kiplinger’s Changing Times Magazine.

Despite hardships imposed by the digital age, Kiplinger is still actively engaged in the publication of its newsletter and magazine, in addition to its online publications. Kiplinger remained the owner/occupant of the Editors Building until the Fall of 2011, when it sold its headquarters building and moved to smaller offices at 13th and L Streets, NW. In 2012, Palmetto Hospitality of Washington, DC renovated the building into a hotel and operates it today as a Hampton Inn.

In addition to serving as the headquarters of the Kiplinger Washington Editors, Inc. for 61 years, the Editors Building housed an extensive collection of print media, including historic maps, prints, engravings, lithographs, watercolors, woodcuts, drawings, photographs and much more, of historic Washington. Known as the Kiplinger Collection, this collection of Washingtoniana was begun in the 1920s by Willard “Kip” Kiplinger and was carried on after his death by his descendants.

The vast array of print media filled the building’s corridors, offices, Board room, and lobby area exhibit space, as well as a special archives room set aside for the collection. After sale of the building, the Kiplinger family donated the vast majority of the collection to the Historical Society of Washington, while setting aside a few of the pieces for the National Portrait Gallery, Mount Vernon, and the Lincoln Cottage.

DC Inventory: December 18, 2014



1729 H Street NW