Old Holy Trinity Church

Georgetown's Old Holy Trinity Church is notable as DC's first Roman Catholic church.

Holy Trinity Church, established in 1787, is the oldest Roman Catholic church in not only Georgetown, but also all of Washington, DC. For years after construction finished in 1794, the church was called "Georgetown Chapel," due to uncertainty around the laws against erecting Catholic churches.

Holy Trinity Church was founded by Archbishop John Carroll, the first Catholic bishop in America and a cousin of Charles Carroll, a signer of the Declaration of Independence. In addition to Carroll, the church had four lay trustees, Adam King, George King, George Fenwick and James Simpson. This church faced south and included a bell tower. During the early years it primarily served the growing Catholic population of Georgetown and the students of Georgetown College (now University).

DC Inventory: November 8, 1964 (Joint Committee on Landmarks)
Within Georgetown Historic District



3513 N Street NW