A notable landmark in the Chevy Chase commercial strip, the Chevy Chase Arcade was planned by the Chevy Chase Land Company as one of four business centers, alternating with apartments, along Connecticut Avenue NW. It illustrates early efforts to provide elegant and convenient shopping in prestigious suburban neighborhoods, often referred to as "streetcar suburbs."
Designed by architect Louis R. Moss and built in 1925, this two-story structure is a fine example of the Classical Revival style. Significant architectural features include a limestone façade with monumental pilasters, show windows, and an arched entrance welcoming customers to the central arcade of shops and upstairs offices.
The interior of the arcade features a vaulted ceiling, clerestory lighting, a black-and-white marble floor, plaster ornamental moldings, and sylvan bas-relief panels. In addition to the building's exterior designation, the Chevy Chase Arcade's interior space (the Arcade itself) is also protected, further adding to the building's significance. Chevy Chase Savings Bank (now PNC Bank) sits directly north of the arcade.
DC Inventory: September 22, 1988
National Register: August 4, 2003