Built in 1907, towards the end of the carriage heyday in America, this building is one of a limited number of early twentieth century private stable/carriage houses still existing in Washington. The Codman Carriage House and Stable was commissioned by one of Washington, DC' socially prominent residents, Martha Codman, and was designed by Codman's equally prominent and highly successful architect cousin, Ogden Codman. The building served as an important adjunct to the owner's residence at 2145 Decatur Place, N.W.
The property contributes significantly to Washington's architectural and cultural history. Culturally, the Codman Carriage House provides meaningful information relating to the life of Washington, DC's elite in the early twentieth century and serves as a vital link between the house-drawn carriage era and the age of the automobile. Architecturally, the Codman Carriage House and Stable is an excellent example of a combined private stable and carriage house where horses and carriages were stored and maintained and servants were housed. The building is designed in an elegant, transitional Second Empire style that shows strong French influence, with French Renaissance facades of pressed brick and stucco. The building exists as a significant example of Ogden Codman's versatility as an architect and designer.
DC designation: December 19, 1995
Within Dupont Circle HD