Constitution Hall, Daughters of the American Revolution

Constitution Hall, built and owned by the National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution, faces Eighteenth Street between C and D Streets, NW.

The hall was designed by the eminent architect, John Russell Pope in 1924 of Neoclassic style and is constructed of Alabama limestone. Constructed in 1928-1930, the building houses the largest auditorium in the the City of Washington with a seating capacity of over 3,000. Constitution Hall was the first of several structures in the vicinity of The Mall designed by Pope. Pope died in 1937, the year he designed the Jefferson Memorial.

The National Society, Daughters of the American Revolution, built Constitution Hall to accommodate their annual Continental Congresses and other activities, but it quickly became the unofficial cultural center of the Nation's Capital and a nationally known focus for all forms of the performing and literary arts. The Daughters of the American Revolution, from this national headquarters, have made major contributions to citizenship education, historic preservation, and historical scholarship. In 1939, the use of Constitution Hall was denied to singer Marian Anderson and sparked a major event in civil rights history.

DC designation: November 8, 1964
National Register and National Historic Landmark lisiting: September 16, 1985

Images

Map

311 18th Street, NW