Constitution Hall, Daughters of the American Revolution
The auditorium of the Daughters of the American Revolution's Constitution Hall became a hotspot in DC's cultural life.
Built and owned by the National Society Daughters of the American Revolution, Constitution Hall was designed by eminent architect John Russell Pope in 1924 in a Neoclassical style. Constructed between 1928 and 1930, the building houses a large auditorium with a seating capacity of over 3,000. Constitution Hall was the first of several structures in the vicinity of The Mall designed by Pope; the last would be the Jefferson Memorial, designed in 1937.
The DAR built Constitution Hall to accommodate their annual Continental Congresses and other activities, but it quickly became the unofficial cultural center of the nation's capital and a nationally-known focal point for all forms of the performing and literary arts. In 1939, Constitution Hall was at the center of a major event in civil rights history when singer Marian Anderson was denied the use of the auditorium.
DC Inventory: November 8, 1964
National Register and National Historic Landmark: September 16, 1985
This site is included in the Women's Suffrage in Washington DC tour for its role as a women's organization and support of DC suffrage.