Built between 1904 and 1908, the District Building occupies an entire city block between E and D Streets south of Pennsylvania Avenue. The building is an excellent example of American Beaux-Arts Classicism, designed by Philadelphia architectural firm Cope and Stewardson. The base of the building is grey granite from Blue Hill, Maine while the upper stories are of white marble from South Dover, New York.
Upon its completion, the District Building became the seat of DC’s local government and municipal offices, which had been previously located in the Old City Hall. Since the establishment of Home Rule (1973), the building has housed the offices of the DC Mayor and the DC Council, as well as several related offices.
DC Inventory: November 8, 1964 (Joint Committee on Landmarks)
National Register: March 16, 1972