The Francis Dodge House (Hammond Court) is situated within the Georgetown Historic District, and is a prime example of Italianate design, a style that was popular in the United States in the decades right before and after the Civil War. The home is clad in stucco and includes a tower with a round-arched entryway, a decorative cornice with brackets, balconies with balustrades, and an arcaded porch. Built in 1852 and designed by influential architects Andrew Jackson Downing and Cavert Vaux, its style was popularized by pattern books written by the former in the 1840s and 1850s. Francis Dodge was a merchant and shipowner, and a native of NewburyPort, Massachusetts. It is now the Downing & Vaux Condos, a reference to the building’s team of architects.
Built in tandem with the Robert Dodge House.
DC Inventory: November 8, 1964 (Joint Committee on Landmarks)
Within the Georgetown Historic District