The double wooden house on the top of Brickyard Hill is a Georgetown landmark and probably the oldest house in the waterfront area. It was built on what was known as Peter's Square at some time prior to Robert Peter's death in 1806, likely by the…

Andrew Jackson Downing, designer of a romantic vision of the National Mall (not implemented) and among the most romantic figures of 19th-century American design, wrote in 1850 of the need for truth in domestic architecture, that a country home…

Built by Clement Smith between 1815 and 1818, this large and distinguished Federal rowhouse is well known as the former site of the Russian Legation and for its time as the residence of Baron Alexander de Bodisco, Russian minister to the United…

Holy Trinity Church, established in 1787, is the oldest Roman Catholic church in not only Georgetown, but also all of Washington, DC. For years after construction finished in 1794, the church was called "Georgetown Chapel," due to uncertainty around…

Thomas Beall constructed this large Federal house, typical of Northeastern seacoast mansions, as an investment in about 1794. From 1916 to 1920, it was the residence of Newton Diehl Baker, considered by some historians to be among the most…

The John Stoddert Haw House was built between 1816 and 1817, and, like its next-door neighbor, it reflects the typical Georgetown style of building. The house is 2-1/2 stories high with a raised basement. The entrance door is distinguished by a…

Built in 1765 in the British colony of Maryland, the Old Stone House was already 59 years old when the British invaded Washington in 1814. Although it is preserved for its architecture today, it was originally preserved through a case of mistaken…

Tobacco was the lifeblood of the community of Georgetown when it was founded. Because of this, in 1745, a "Rolling House" for the inspection and trade of the crop was called for by the Maryland legislature. Completed in 1747, the Rolling House…

George Bomford was an Army ordnance expert and the owner of the mansion Kalorama. In 1845, he constructed a cotton factory on the site of a 1832 flour mill, which had burned down the previous year. The factory was sold to Thomas Wilson in 1850, who…

The Old North Building is the oldest remaining academic building on the Georgetown University campus, built between 1794 and 1797. An 1829 Prospectus shows the North and South Buildings as the heart of Georgetown’s campus. The College appears to…