Dumbarton House is a Federal-style house in Georgetown, completed around 1800. An outstanding example of American architecture of the early Federal period, Dumbarton House has retained much of its original historical fabric, despite many alterations. Additionally, it is associated with several prominent 18th- and 19-th century public figures and with the early history of the Georgetown neighborhood.
Dumbarton House is located on part of a 795-acre tract granted to Colonel Ninian Beall (1625-1717) by Charles, Lord Baltimore, in 1703, for services rendered by Beall as a member of the Maryland House of Burgesses and as Commander-in-Chief of Maryland's Provincial Forces. Beall, who was the founder of a family that had long taken an active role in state affairs, patented the tract, located in what was then Frederick County, Maryland, as "The Rock of Dumbarton", in honor of the land of his birth, Scotland.
Dumbarton House remained a private residence for over a century. In 1928, it was purchased by the National Society of the Colonial Dames of America, who restored the house in such a way as to represent life in Georgetown in the early Federal period. Four years later, Dumbarton House opened as a house museum.
DC Inventory: November 8, 1964
National Register: January 28, 1991
Within Georgetown Historic District