Duvall Foundry

This canal-era warehouse was built and operated as a foundry by William T. Duvall until about 1870.

During the early and mid-Victorian period, Georgetown grew extensively, leaving an indelible mark on the built environment of the former port town. According to a 1993 survey, 175 buildings within the historic district date to this period. Much of this growth occurred along the waterfront as industrial processing and commercial opportunities, spurred by the C&O Canal, continued apace. The Duvall Foundry, built in 1856, is one building that represents the emergence and growth of the milling and iron work industry of mid-19th century Georgetown.

The Duvall Foundry was used as a veterinary hospital in early 20th century and today, it has been incorporated into a contemporary office complex. The building is two stories tall with a gable roof, brick facade with piers, and a large arched opening on second floor. The foundry is located adjacent to the canal.

DC Inventory: January 23, 1973

Images

Map

1050 30th Street, NW