Engine Company No. 29, also known as the Palisades firehouse, was the city’s first one-story firehouse and one of two prototype Colonial Revival firehouses dating from 1925. In that year, the fire department completed its conversion to all-motorized apparatus, enabling a more rapid response and necessitating fewer firehouses overall. As facilities grew larger, especially in outlying suburban areas, more land was available to spread the stations over a more convenient single floor.
The design is among the most successful of Municipal Architect Albert L. Harris (1869-1934). Following neo-Georgian principles, the main block of the front-gabled brick building is symmetrically composed. Placed on either side in a secondary wing, the dormitories create a T-shaped plan. A four-story hose tower rises at the rear, balancing the design and creating an identifiable neighborhood landmark.
DC Inventory: July 22, 2004
National Register: June 6, 2007