Stockton Hall, located at 720 20th Street, N.W., on the east side of The George Washington University's quadrangle, is the sister building to Corcoran Hall which fronts on the west side of the quadrangle. This Georgian Revival building has a rectangular foundation faced with shaped stone and brick walls of Flemish bond. It is one of two buildings constructed after a 1922 plan by architect Albert Harris for a Georgian Revival quadrangle to house George Washington University.
Stockton Hall is representative of the early-twentieth century notions of formalism and order. The Harris Plan for the university, which called for the construction of Stockton Hall, is typical of the campus designs formulated by colleges and universities across the country in the late-nineteenth and early-twentieth centuries. The careful spatial arrangement of buildings on this cross-axial plan was to provide a clarity of purpose and harmony to the campus setting.
Built 1925-26 (Albert L. Harris and Arthur B. Heaton, architects)
DC designation November 18, 1987
National Register listing September 13, 1991