Originally established as the Georgetown Academy for Young Ladies, the Georgetown Visitation Convent was the first Catholic girls’ school in America. It was established by religious women in 1799 and received the first American charter of the Order of the Visitation in 1816. This property serves as the mother house for 13 convents and is also notable for housing Saint Joseph's Benevolent School from about 1800 to 1918. Various buildings, dating from 1819 to 1934, contribute to this historic site.
DC Inventory: November 8, 1964 (Chapel of the Sacred Heart); March 7, 1968 (Monastery and Academy Building) (Joint Committee on Landmarks)
National Register: March 29, 1991
Within Georgetown Historic District
This site is included in the Capital City Slavery Tour for the sale and enslavement of 121 individuals by the Georgetown Visitation Convent and School. For further information on slavery in the District, view DC Preservation League's Capital City Slavery Digital Exhibit.