Hampshire Gardens was the first fully developed garden apartment complex in Washington, consisting of buildings and grounds that occupy an entire city block. Originally planned as a 2,500-unit community, the onset of the Great Depression forced developers to limit their ambitions; this property was the only portion of the scheme ever realized.
The complex features an open, landscaped setting that exemplifies some of the dominant trends in middle-class 1920s housing developments. Built in 1929, Hampshire Gardens was designed by James E. Cooper (exterior architect) and George T. Santmyers (interior architect). Parks and Baxter designed the property's landscape.
DC Inventory: January 27, 1993
National Register: September 9, 1994