Found at the corner of Massachusetts Avenue and 24th Street NW, the Christian Hauge House’s intricate architecture is exemplary of the neighborhood’s elegant aesthetic. Designed by George Oakley Totten, Jr. – known for his many designs in the Meridian Hill Historic District – in the Beaux Arts style and reminiscent of 16th century French chateaus, the house has served as both a private residence and as ambassadors’ residences for two nations. Constructed in 1906, the original owner and namesake of the home never occupied it.
After serving as a private residence within the Hauge family, the house was sold to the Czechoslovakian government in 1929. They occupied the building until 1969 when they moved their operations. In 1972, the Republic of Cameroon purchased the building and has occupied it since. Today, the house serves as the ambassador’s residence. The home’s location in the Massachusetts Avenue and Sheridan-Kalorama historic districts, amongst many other official ambassadors’ residences and embassies, has maintained the neighborhood’s “Embassy Row” character.