The Embassy of Iraq's consular office, also known as the Boardman House, was built in 1893 following designs by Hornblower & Marshall and is an example of Richardsonian Romanesque architecture. William J. Boardman and his family were the first…

Built between 1910 and 1911 by architect Nathan Wyeth, this house was commissioned by Emily Eames MacVeagh as a gift to her husband, Franklin MacVeagh, a Chicago businessman who was then Secretary of the Treasury under President Taft. Emily MacVeagh…

The Walsh-McLean House is an eclectic mansion with Renaissance, Baroque, Louis XVI and Art Nouveau elements and designed by Danish-born and New York architect Henry Anderson in 1903. The house is one of many magnificent mansions constructed in the…

Built in 1910 from designs by architects Wyeth and Sullivan, the Pullman House was the property of Mrs. George M. Pullman, the widow of the sleeping car magnate. Although she never occupied the building, the Russian Czarist government did so for…

This former embassy is among the finest of nearly a dozen Meridian Hill mansions built by Mary Foote Henderson (1841-1931), in collaboration with her favorite architect, George Oakley Totten. Built between 1906 and 1907, the project was her first…

The Clarence Moore House exemplifies the Beaux Arts style of architecture popular at the turn of the century in the houses built on Massachusetts Avenue. The house was built in 1906 for Clarence and Mabel Swift Moore and remained in the possession…

The residence of the Japanese Ambassador was designed in 1931 in the neo-Georgian style, which was popular in the 1920s and 1930s. Designed by the prominent firm of Delano and Aldrich, the residence, with its teahouse and subsidiary buildings, sits…

Built in 1907 for A. Clifford and Alice Pike Barney by George Oakley Totten, this house is most notable as the home of Charles Evans Hughes—a statesman and juror of the highest order, a leader in the Progressive movement, and the holder of a…

The Embassy of Italy, built between 1924 and 1925 on land purchased by the Italian government from Mary Foote Henderson, is among the most notable of the mansions Henderson commissioned for the street. The Italian embassy was one of the few foreign…