In February 1931, D.C. Permit to Build #140167 was issued to Kennedy-Warren, Inc. to erect an eight-story, brick and concrete with limestone trim apartment hotel at an estimated cost of $3,200,000. It has an irregular footprint and illustrates the Art Deco style. The Kennedy-Warren was originally designed to have 441 apartments with a total of 2,029 rooms.
The Depression and the developers had subsequent financial difficulties caused only half of the original design to be built. A pre-construction Washington Star article noted an "ultra modern innovation" in the design; a circulation system which would pull cool air from the adjoining parkland and pump it into the building during hot summer months. When the Kennedy-Warren was completed, it was considered the largest and most architecturally significant apartment building in the city. This was achieved by adapting airplane engines.
In 1935, the Kennedy-Warren received a rear left wing addition. The supervising architect for the addition, A.H. Sonnemann, followed Joseph Younger's original design and constructed a portion of the uncompleted half. The addition concluded the large-scale apartment building construction hiatus; this type of work ended soon after the original section of the Kennedy-Warren was completed. The addition had 107 units, bringing the total to 317 of the originally planned 441 units. The Kennedy-Warren is the grand finale of pre-World War II development in the Connecticut Avenue apartment building corridor, and presently stands in excellent condition.