This bronze equestrian statue of General George B. McClellan stands at the crest of a hill overlooking Connecticut Avenue. McClellan distinguished himself at the battle of Antietam and as head of the Army of the Potomac. Here he is mounted on a horse in the military dress of the Union Army, his right hand poised on his hip. The pedestal is very high and is enriched by eight escutcheons honoring McClellan's battles. The two principal sides are decorated with bronze trophies representing cannon, flags, and arms. At each of the four corners, eagles bear garlands of oak and laurel. The statue stands nine feet above the base.
The statue was erected at the expense of the government for $50,000, with additional funds for the improvement of the site provided by the Army of the Potomac. Cast in France, the statue was erected in accordance with an Act approved March 3, 1901 and dedicated May 2, 1907.
National Register: September 20, 1978