Montrose Park, established by Congress in 1911, is located in the heights of Georgetown. The property is managed by the National Park Service and is comprised of 15.69 acres that were historically associated with a Federal-era residence. Nearly rectilinear, the park is bounded by R Street to the south, Oak Hill Cemetery to the east, Rock Creek and Potomac Parkway along the north, and Lovers' Lane at the west. The southern half of the property incorporates a plateau, whereas the northern half includes portions of two steep converging embankments that follow Rock Creek and one of its tributaries.
The park's landscape was designed by George E. Burnap and Horace W. Peaslee. The space includes a variety of features, including an entrance terrace, with the Sara Louisa Rittenhouse memorial, lawns, boxwood gardens, tennis courts, play areas, woodlands, and paved and unpaved paths. The park also incorporates a mixture of structures, including a ca. 1856 summerhouse, a 1914 pergola, and a 1917 lodge.