From 1904 to 1924, late-19th century geologist and mathematician Robert Woodward lived in this rowhome. Woodward was well-respected in the science community and served as the first president of the Carnegie Institution while he lived in this house on 16th Street.
Woodward is a significant historical figure for his role in scientific experimentation and advancement in the early 20th century. He personally contributed to the field of American science through his personal academic work and also through his role as an administrator and institution-builder at the Carnegie Institute. As a vanguard in the field of American science, his home was established as a National Historic Landmark in 1976 for his significance in American history.
Little is known about the house itself; the architect is undetermined and it is estimated to have been built around 1885. The front elevation has not been altered or changed. The interior has been divided into apartments.
National Historic Landmark: January 7, 1976
National Register: January 7, 1976
DC Listing: March 3, 1979