Designed by architect James T. Windrim, the National Savings and Trust Company building features an imposing Queen Anne style and served as the headquarters of Washington's second savings bank. It was built in 1888 with additions being added in 1916, 1925, and 1985.
National Savings and Trust Company was formed in 1891 thanks to a merger of the National Safe Deposit Company and the National Savings Bank. The National Safe Deposit Company was chartered in 1867 as one of nation's earliest safety-deposit institutions and National Savings Bank was chartered in 1870. The merged units were renamed National Savings and Trust Company in 1907.
DC listing: November 8, 1964
National Register listing: March 16, 1972
Builder: Robert Issac Fleming