Constructed facing McPherson Square in 1917, the Davidson Building, designed by prominent local architect B. Stanley Simmons, is a representative example of a large scale private office development. In addition, the building fits within a category…

The Waggaman-Ray Commercial Row exemplifies an unusually coordinated effort on the part of developers, architects, and merchants during the 1920s to transform Connecticut Avenue into an exclusive shopping area, deliberately modeled after Fifth…

Organized in 1899, the Union Trust and Storage Company is one of DC’s earliest trust organizations. Operating both as a storage concern and a trust company, the organization served as a depository for both material and fiduciary resources held by…

Built between 1836 and 1869, the Treasury Department building is the work of five major American architects—Robert Mills, Thomas U. Walter, Ammi B. Young, Isaiah Rogers, and Alfred B. Mullett. Conceived and built in the Greek Revival style that…

Prominently situated opposite the U.S. Treasury, the Riggs National Bank's Classical Revival style had a great influence on the design of other city banks.Established in 1840 as Corcoran & Riggs by William W. Corcoran (a former official of the…

Erected in 1912, the Riggs or Albee Building and the adjoining theater were built on a site formerly occupied by the Riggs House, a large hotel demolished in 1911. Originally, the building was known as the Riggs Building, and the adjoining theater…

The National Savings and Trust Company is a historic bank building, known also as the National Safe Deposit Company and the National Safe Deposit Savings and Trust Company. The National Safe Deposit Company was chartered in 1867 through an act of…

The distinctive Beaux Arts facade of the National Metropolitan Bank Building forms a strong architectural unit with the adjacent Riggs Building, balancing Robert Mills’ east side of the Treasury Department and complementing it in scale, style, and…

Designed by the architectural firm Carrère and Hastings, the ten-story, Beaux-Arts hotel is the only commercial building designed by the New York firm in Washington, DC. Completed in 1918, Hotel Washington’s facade features cream colored sgraffito…

Established in 1889, the stock brokerage firm W. B. Hibbs & Co. was the only member of the New York Stock Exchange headquartered in DC at the time. By 1908, W. B. Hibbs & Co. moved into this new office space. Architects Jules Henri de Sibour…