She commissioned renowned architect George Oakley Totten, Jr. to design this building which was constructed in 1927. Intended as an embassy, Mrs. Henderson struggled to find an occupant for the property. Her long-time steward lived there for a year in 1930.
Later in the 40s, the house was sold to the American Legion and then to the Hungarian People's Republic--they used the property as an embassy just as Mrs. Henderson would have wanted. Private ownership was reinstated in the 1970s however and the building is rented out to a nonprofit organization today.
The Old Hungarian Embassy is a well-crafted, four story, Renaissance Revival building. The main block of the stucco-covered brick building is symmetrical and there are wings on both the north and south facades. Painted gray, the mansion has a low-pitched hip roof covered in dark red tiles.
DC designation: December 16, 1987
National Register listing: March 16, 1988