The district includes, at its center, the grand neo-Classical Meridian Hill Park with an important array of grand Beaux Arts-style mansions, foreign legations, and large apartment buildings framing either side of it and extending further north. A…

Built between 1910 and 1911 by architect Nathan Wyeth, this house was commissioned by Emily Eames MacVeagh as a gift to her husband, Franklin MacVeagh, a Chicago businessman who was then Secretary of the Treasury under President Taft. Emily MacVeagh…

Originally, the building now known as the Warder-Totten House was commissioned by Benjamin Warder in 1885 and designed in the Richardsonian Romanesque style by the firm of Henry Hobson Richardson. It stood at 1509 K Street, NW until 1923, when it…

Meridian Hill Park, also known today as Malcolm X Park following a 1969 speech by activist Angela Davis, is a distinguished example of landscape design. The hilly, twelve-acre park with its Beaux Arts design elements is notable for its elaborate…

Designed by architect William Harris, Park Tower exhibits many of the qualities and details associated with Art Deco, while also reflecting important changes in aesthetic philosophies. Built between 1928 and 1929, the structure was one of the first…

Like Meridian Hall and several other mansions in the Meridian Hill Historic District, this building was part of Mary Foote Henderson's plan to beautify the area. She commissioned renowned architect George Oakley Totten, Jr. to design this building,…

Built between 1921 and 1923 by John Russell Pope, Meridian House is an 18th-century French-style mansion, built for Irwin Boyle Laughlin, an American diplomat and an heir of the Jones and Laughlin Steel Company fortune. With his fine collection of…

Meridian Hall, like several other mansions in the Meridian Hill Historic District, was commissioned by Mary Foote Henderson, who was the guiding force behind the development of the area as an enclave of embassies and mansions. She advocated for the…

The Embassy of Italy, built between 1924 and 1925 on land purchased by the Italian government from Mary Foote Henderson, is among the most notable of the mansions Henderson commissioned for the street. The Italian embassy was one of the few foreign…