Built in 1811 as the original distillery building for Isaac Peirce's homestead and plantation, this still house remains visually linked to the context in which it was built, since the original mill and stone barn can still be observed to the east, and to the west is the stone springhouse originally belonging to the same property. The two-centuries-old Still House features a number of additions to the northwest, that date from its conversion to a residence in 1924.
The Still House is significant as a representative example of a stone structure originally formed as part a working mill and homestead of the early 1800s. its exterior is a rare and almost intact example of a farm building that was built to be a distillery and later—until its early-20th-century conversion to a residence—was used as a barn. Along with the related buildings that surround it, the Still House reflects the rural character of this locale in the early 19th century.
DC Inventory: November 8, 1964 (Joint Committee on Landmarks)
National Register: September 6, 1990