These party-walled brick masonry structures are built directly on the property line, some with 1 or 2 story bays and landscaped front yards extending into the parking. There are three interruptions in in the continuity of the row--an alley at its midpoint. The buildings to the east of the alley are commercial Italianate in design concept with flat roofs, substantial crowning cornices and evenly rhythmic facade articulation. Those to the west of the alley are more residential in appearance with mansard and gable roofs, projecting bays and greater rhythmic and textural complexity of facade articulation. They include three groups of speculative buildings as well as an individually designated Landmark building (2030) representative of early residential vernacular architecture in the federal city.
This architectural cohesive residential row, gradually developed between 1831 and 1896, admirably illustrated the evolution of vernacular building in the District of Columbia in the nineteenth century. Its human scale and textural diversity have a major design impact on Pennsylvania Avenue west of the White House, relating nearby residential areas and other historic buildings to the Avenue, and underlining the historic importance of the Avenue as a link between the Federal City and Georgetown. The buildings and facades were incorporated into a new building 1980‑1981.
DC designation: January 24, 1977
National Register listing: August 9, 1977