This 16 foot high bronze equestrian statue of General George H. Thomas, sculpted by John Quincy Adams Ward, was a gift of the Army of the Cumberland Society. Thomas gained fame during the Civil War as the "Rock of Chickamauga." The statue depicts Thomas observing the field of battle having-just arrived on the crest of a hill. The oval granite pedestal stands on a circular granite base of four steps with four blocks protruding from the base of the pedestal out to the edge of the lower step. The oval pedestal has two elaborate Baroque scrolls, two on either end. The badge of the Army of the Cumberland, partly surrounded by a laurel wreath is in bronze on the east side of the pedestal. The statue was erected at no cost to the U.S. under a Congressional Act approved July 31, 1876, which appropriated $25,000 for a granite pedestal on a circular granite base, It was dedicated November 19, 1879.
John Quincy Adams Ward, sculptor
National Register Nomination: September 20, 1978