The 1906-1907 Capital Traction Company Car Barn is an outstanding example of a now obsolete building type in the District. Only seven of the thirty known streetcar barns remain in the city and the Capital Traction Car Barn is architecturally among the best built by the company. Around the turn of the 20th century, the Capital Traction Company began to improve streetcar service along 14th Street by extending its 14th Street line from the Park Road terminus to Colorado Avenue. The extension opened up previously undeveloped portions of the city, particularly north of Piney Branch Parkway. At the “new” end of the line, the company constructed this Italian Renaissance Revival car barn building to promote the expanded service as well as to attract new residents to the area. Soon after completion of the high-style car barn, designed by prominent local firm Wood, Donn and Deming, residential development, schools, and small businesses followed. Nominated by the DC Preservation League.
DC designation: September 27, 2012
National Register: May 22, 2013