The Chapman Coal Company Stable and Garage is an important surviving building in what was once a bustling light industrial complex established in the early-20th century. The site evolved over the decades from a coal office and coal yard with stables at the rear to a public garage at the front and manufacturing facilities at the rear. The surviving building at 57 N Street NW, built in 1912 and incorporating a 1908 stable building into it, was constructed as a garage with parking for 75 cars on the ground level and service repair facilities at the second story.
The building is a notable representation of the rise of the automobile and its impact on the city’s built environment, and a relatively rare example of an early-20th century commercial service and workshop complex.
Chapman Stables and Garages has since been converted into 114 condominium units, which are located throughout the original building and a new addition on the rear. There is also restaurant space located along N Street.
DC Inventory: March 28, 2013
National Register: October 23, 2013