The stately Second Empire-style country house constructed between 1868 and 1871 and known as Van View occupies an almost half-acre corner lot at 13th and Jonquil Streets. It is generally surrounded by smaller, mid-20th century Colonial and Tudor Revival-style detached dwellings that define the neighborhood today. Though still gracious, the .43-acre lot is a fraction of its historic 18 and 1/4-acre tract of land, which was itself part of a larger farm owned by John and Mary Van Riswick during the last quarter of the 19th century. The Van Riswicks, wealthy Washingtonians with connections to the County of Washington, lived in the city, but operated the property as a working farm and used it as a country retreat.
DC Inventory: October 30, 2014