Erected in 1911 by the Samuel J. Prescott Company to a design by prominent Washington architect Appleton P. Clark, Jr., the Civil Service Commission building exemplifies the early-20th century office buildings developed privately for long-term use by federal agencies. It is a rare survivor of this period of rapid government expansion.
The building exhibits elements of the Italian Renaissance Revival style applied to the basic commercial office building form of the early twentieth century. Due to its simple but high-quality building materials, including brick and limestone, the building remains in generally good condition with few alterations to its 1911 exterior appearance and configuration.
DC Inventory: June 30, 2011
National Register: September 18, 2013