The Mountjoy Bayly House (also known as the Bayly House, Hiram W. Johnson House, Chaplains Memorial Building, and Parkington) was built in 1822 for the second Sergeant at Arms of the Senate, General Mountjoy Bayly. A combination of Federal and Second Empire architecture, the house is among the earliest residences still standing in the Capitol Hill Historic District.
Since Bayly's time, the house has seen several notable tenants. From 1929 until 1947, it was the residence of Senator Hiram Johnson, former governor of California and a founder of the Progressive Party. In more recent decades, the building has served as the home of various nonprofits and other organizations, including the national DC office of the American Civil Liberties Union. The building is currently owned by the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee.
National Historic Landmark: December 8, 1976
Within Capitol Hill Historic District