Built in 1912 by local architect Arthur B. Heaton, the Babcock–Macomb House was built for Kate Woodman Babcock, the widow of former Wisconsin Representative Joseph W. Babcock. She never lived in the home, instead selling it to Tucker Sands, vice president of the National Metropolitan Bank, in 1917. Sands, in turn, sold the house to the Macomb family in 1919; the house remained in the family until 1982, when it was purchased by the Republic of Cape Verde to serve as their embassy in the United States.
DC Inventory: February 1, 1989
National Register: February 10, 1995