The Armed Forces Retirement Home Historic District includes a collection of 19th- and early-20th-century buildings, as well as extensive historic landscapes. Dating from 1842 to 1951, the buildings focus around Lincoln's Cottage, the centerpiece of the property. The cottage is the original Gothic Revival-style Corn Rigs, built between 1842 and 1843 as the home of George Riggs. In 1852, following a push to establish a soldiers' home in DC, Congress purchased the cottage to use as a home for retired and disabled U.S. Army Veterans, and the asylum continued to develop with the construction of surrounding buildings in the years that followed. In addition to the buildings, the historic grounds and the statuary and war relics that decorate them comprise part of the historic district.
The historic district includes 39 contributing buildings and a total of 140 contributing properties. President Lincoln's Cottage, as the original building is now known due to Lincoln's affinity for the cottage and his many stays there, has been designated as a national monument and a National Historic Landmark and is administered as a historic house museum.
DC Inventory: May 22, 2008
National Register: December 5, 2007