Built in 1934, this is one of the earliest purpose built public recreation facilities remaining in a District of Columbia park. It is one of a handful of contemporaneous park field houses designed to resemble a Tidewater hall-and-parlor house, inspired by Colonial Williamsburg and by the Commission of Fine Arts' preference for Colonial-style neighborhood facilities. It was the only one of these constructed for a segregated African-American playground, as well as the only one whose primary structural material is brick rather than frame.
The Lincoln Playground field house remains a notable example of its type and is the product of Municipal Architect Albert L. Harris, whose work is closely identified with civic architecture in Washington, D.C. Furthermore, it is the only example of this type located outside of NW Washington – in this case, located in SE – the only example constructed entirely of brick, and the only example constructed on a “colored” playground during the period when Washington playgrounds were segregated. It is also one of two examples of this type constructed as a Civil Works Administration project.
Nominated by Historic Washington Architecture and designated February 25, 2016