Christ Church was founded in 1817 when a group of prominent Georgetown citizens met to organize a new congregation for an additional Protestant Episcopal Church. Up until that time, St. John's Church was the only Episcopal Church in Georgetown, and it was overcrowded. The new congregation included many businessmen, merchants, and officials.
Construction of the church began in May of 1818, and the new church was consecrated on December 30 of the same year. When finished, it was the largest Episcopal Church in the District, but the growing congregation forced the church to remodel and expand within fifty years. The need for a larger church, first apparent in the 1860s, became more and more pressing until in 1885, the vestry decided to erect a new structure.
The current building is the second church on the site. Work on the new church was designed by the firm of Cassell and Laws begun in 1885. It was completed in 1887.
Christ Church is an example of late 19th century Gothic style and has a tall, dominating bell tower, stone Gothic arches, and lancet windows. These features have led to the building being referred to as a miniature cathedral. Additions were incorporated in 1923 and 1967.
DC Inventory: November 8, 1964 (Joint Committee on Landmarks)
National Register: March 16, 1972
Within Georgetown Historic District