It is located on a block bounded by Newark Street on the south, 34th Place on the east, Ordway Street on the north, and 36th Street on the west. Standing in spacious grounds surrounded by trees and boxwood this rambling house has the quality of a country farmhouse not often found within Washington's boundaries. The house retains a secluded, rural setting. Adjacent to Rosedale's grounds are freestanding residences and visible from the south windows of the house is the tower of the Washington Cathedral.
At the urging of his wife Rebecca Plater Forrest, Revolutionary War Colonel Uriah Forrest moved from Georgetown to build this country homestead off the Frederick Turnpike. Originally part of Pretty Prospect, which Forrest purchased in 1792 with Benjamin Stoddert, and William Deakins Jr. Though he lost a leg at the Battle of Germantown in 1777, Forrest did much of the work with the help of five servants. The farmhouse, built about 1793, incorporates a small stone cottage dating from about 1740, predating Georgetown’s Old Stone House. Forrest died in 1805, and the estate remained in the family until 1920.
DC Inventory: November 8, 1964
National Register: May 8, 1973
Within Cleveland Park HD