Emerald Street NE, or Emerson Street prior to 1950, is a one-block-long "minor" residential street located between 13th and 14th and E and F Streets NE at the center of Square 1029 in east Capitol Hill. The street is lined with several intact and…

Although L’Enfant anticipated that this hill overlooking the Potomac would be used for defensive battlements, it was instead set aside for a national university that never materialized. The site remained a lightly wooded military campground and…

Chartered by Congress in 1852, Glenwood Cemetery was the first for-profit cemetery in the District, and among the first nationwide. This business model, initially disdained as disrespectful to the deceased, has since been adopted by most cemeteries,…

The 38.6-acre Mount Vernon Seminary for Girls campus includes 16 buildings, generally brick with Georgian Revival or simple Colonial Revival detailing. Six of these date to the period between 1916 to 1942, when the complex was first developed and…

Spingarn Senior High School, Browne Junior High School, Charles Young Elementary School, and Phelps Architecture, Construction and Engineering (formerly Vocational) High School are located on approximately 27.25 sloping acres of land overlooking the…

Grant Circle is a major urban and visual feature of the Petworth neighborhood, marking the intersection of Fifth and Varnum Streets and Illinois and New Hampshire Avenues, N.W. These parks are defined by a mix of hedges, lawns, and mature trees,…

The Armed Forces Retirement Home Historic District includes a collection of 19th- and early-20th-century buildings, as well as an extensive historic landscapes. Dating from 1842 to 1951, the focal point is Lincoln Cottage, the centerpiece of the…

The Commercial National Bank, designed by noted Washington architect Waddy B. Wood in 1917, is an excellent early example of the simplified and stylized classicism that distinguishes some of DC’s most noteworthy early-twentieth century buildings.…

Georgetown University's Greek Revival astronomical observatory is located on a knoll in the southwest corner of the campus, south of Kehoe Field and north of McDonough Memorial Gym. The observatory is the third oldest in the United States. It was…