Built in 1908 in then predominately rural Deanwood, the construction of Engine Company No. 27 served to most likely protect the railroad, as there were few residential buildings nearby. Up until 1914, Chemical Company No. 1 inhabited the space prior…

Erected in 1894, Old Engine Company No. 10 served the Stanton Park neighborhood, or the northern portion of Capitol Hill and the emerging suburban subdivisions of Trinidad and Ivy City. At that time, the area was sparsely developed with some modest…

Myrtilla Miner (1815-1864), a pioneer for Black female education, established the “Normal School for Colored Girls,” also known as the “Miner School for Girls” in 1851; its eventual large, three-story, symmetrically-massed Colonial Revival brick…

Engine Company No. 20 was the first major public structure built in Tenleytown in 1900. At the time, Tenleytown was at the edge of the Washington, DC border. Soon after, the nearby residential subdivisions of Armsleigh Park (1892) and American…