Constructed in the 1920s, the 12th Precinct Station House is architecturally significant as a prominent example of the Colonial Revival style in the District. Additionally, the station house is historically emblematic of DC’s expanding police force in the 20th century.
As Washington’s population increased at the turn of the 20th century, the District police force expanded to meet the growing need for law enforcement through the construction of new precinct stations. The 12th precinct was established in 1922 to provide services to neighborhoods in the city’s northeastern quadrant. Designs for the building were finalized in 1923, and the station officially opened on New Year’s Day in 1924.
Designed by municipal architect Albert L. Harris, the two-story brick building is a significant example of Colonial Revival style in the District—it is characterized by a front-gable roof, parapet-style belfry, and a projecting entrance portico.
Today, the original building is connected to a six-story residential tower (constructed in 2019) for short-term family housing.
DC Inventory: May 27, 2021