Following the merger of two banks, this building served as an elegant headquarters for the new Federal-American National Bank. The bank was designed by skyscraper architect Alfred C. Bossom (1881-1965), in association with Washington’s leading Beaux-Arts practitioner, Jules Henri de Sibour (1872 -1938). After the banking crisis of 1933, the Hamilton National Bank occupied the banking building. Most recently, the bank housed the National Bank of Washington.
Built between 1925 and 1926, the bank has an unusual plan with the banking room on a raised main floor and retail space at the grade. The building features a monumental Classical Revival façade in limestone with large arched windows, engaged columns, sculptural embellishment, and a bronze vestibule. The banking room is in the Renaissance Revival style and has a marble entrance stair, mezzanine, elaborate polychrome coffered ceiling, chandeliers, ornamentation in classical motifs, and an innovative open counter design. The exterior as well as the interior are historically registered sites.
DC Inventory: July 18, 1990
National Register: December 29, 1994