The old Post building once stood at Tenth and D St, N.W. which explains the statue's present location. The eight foot high marble portrait statue of Franklin portrays him in the diplomatic dress of the American minister to the court in Versailles, He holds a document in his left hand and raises his right hand in a gesture of greeting, A stack of books is placed at his feet to the right, The eleven foot pedestal rises in stages of rusticated and smooth granite. Four activities of Franklin's life: Printer, Philanthropist, Patriot, and Philosopher are carved on the four faces of the pedestal. An Act approved July 19, 1888 (25 Stat. 627) authorized the Commissioners of the District of Columbia to designate a location for the statue. It was erected at Tenth and Pennsylvania Ave., N.W.
Dedicated 1889 (Jacques Jouvenal, sculptor; J.F. Manning, architect)
National Register: July 14, 1978