Born in Scotland, John Witherspoon came to the colonies in 1768 to serve as the first president of the College of New Jersey, now Princeton University. In June of 1776, Witherspoon arrived in Philadelphia as a newly-elected delegate to the Continental Congress just in time to vote for and sign the Declaration of Independence.
This statue of Witherspoon was presented by the Witherspoon Memorial Association and dedicated on May 20, 1909. Sculpted by William Couper, this ten-foot-high bronze statue depicts Witherspoon standing in colonial dress with a Bible in his right hand. The base of polished pink Connecticut granite features bronze plaques on the north and south sides. The statue is currently owned by the National Park Service.