Originally known as Windsor Lodge, this building was erected in 1910-11. Two years later, U.S. Senator William E. Borah of Idaho moved into apartment number 21E, where he continued living until 1929. Borah was one of the most influential figures in U.S. foreign and domestic policy in the first half of the 20th century, a fixture in the Senate from 1907 until his death in 1940. As leader of the small band of "Irreconcilables" in the Senate who promoted a more isolationist policy and turned the tide of public opinion to defeat Woodrow Wilson's proposal for the League of Nations, Borah commanded significant respect in Republican circles. Historians have noted his great influence on American foreign policy during the Harding, Coolidge, and Hoover administrations.
A statue of Borah now stands in the National Statuary Hall Collection in the U.S. Capitol, and his longtime home has been designated a National Historic Landmark in recognition of his influence on American politics. The building continues to serve a residential purposes and is now a condominium.
DC Inventory: March 3, 1979
National Register: December 8, 1976
National Historic Landmark: December 8, 1976
Within Sheridan-Kalorama Historic District